We had a great time at last year’s Bristol Bike Fest (fun course, great weather, plenty of people but with a pleasingly low-key “vibe”, whatever that is), but there’s always room for improvement. The organisers have been working hard over the last few months to make a few tweaks and changes that should make the 2005 event (11/12 June, Ashton Court, Bristol, sponsored by Marin) even more betterer. Here’s their ten-point plan:
- The first 250 riders entering the event will receive a FREE Bike Fest t-shirt.
- Super plush luxury toilets with heating, wash basins with warm water, full length mirrors for checking the t-shirt fit and proper WCs.
- Better value food on offer from dawn until way after the race is over.
- Top quality coffee on offer, including cappuccinos and lattes if you’re so inclined.
- The MAD Trials Display Team is coming to entertain everybody in their riding breaks.
- Free camping for both nights if you enter before 1 May. The 12 Hour start is 9am on Saturday morning so you’ll probably want to try and arrive on Friday evening. There’s also apparently a top-secret extra attraction that’ll make sticking around on Saturday night well worth your while.
- A bigger marquee with the usual live band that will entertain you while you’re riding through it.
- An organiser-operated bar with good prices for that après-race cold beer.
- An enhanced course with all-weather singletrack lovingly worked on over the winter months by a dedicated troupe of trail pixies.
- They’re keeping point 10 under their hats at the moment…
Saturday sees the 12 hour enduro (9am-9pm, an hour earlier than 2004 so you’ll have an easier time without lights in the woods at the end). Sunday has a round of the Southern XC Series and something else to be announced, it says here. Details and entry forms at www.bristolbikefest.com, or send any enquiries to [email protected].