Regular readers will know that we’re giving away a mixed team place to this year’s pioneering TransWales stage race (12-20 August, most of Wales). The entries are now in, and we’ll be bringing you the details of one of the shortlisted entries each day this week before throwing open the voting on Friday.
Our second candidates for the big TransWales prize are MTB enduro enthusiasts Nadine Spearing and James Hampshire…
In their own words
We’ve just moved to Birmingham and are becoming desperate for some real mountains! Our MTB’s no longer get dirty and are slowly morphing into road bikes – suspension locked out all the time, mud tyres replaced with slicks, riser bars replaced with flat bars…
Also, we never get the opportunity to race together – (although the one time we have (at Dusk till Dawn) we came home in second place). Even at Mountain Mayhem this year, where we are both entered in the solo category, we doubt we’ll see much of each other.
If that’s not enough we’ll do it for charity, in fancy dress, riding singlespeeds…
Nadine and James’s race CV
- October 2004 : BUSA Cyclocross Championships: 2nd place
- June 2005 : Rough Ride
- June 2005: Mountain Mayhem Mixed Team
- August 2005 : Sleepless in the Saddle Mixed Team
- August 2005 : Brecon Beast : 2nd Place (75Km Women)
- September 2005 : Dusk til Dawn 12 Hour: 2nd Place (Mixed Pairs with James)
- April 2006 – Midland XC Series Round 2 : 1st Place (Sport Women)
- May 2006 : NPS 1 : 3rd Place (Sport Women)
- May 2006 : Trek 6-4-2 : 2nd Place (6 Hour Women Solo)
- May 2006 : CLIC 24 : Pairs (With James)
Many middle of the pack finishes!
My favourite events of 2005:
- Grand Raid Cristalp
- SITS Solo
- Dyfi Enduro
- Dusk till Dawn
So far in 2006 the geared bike has only been used for the BHF South Downs Way 100 mile challenge. While the singlespeed has seen action at MBXC round 2 (23rd Sport Men), Trek 6-4-2 (24th 6 Hour Solo Men) and CLIC 24.