|BCF Premier Calendar Road Race Series|
Round Four, Europa Two Day, April 1/2
260miles, 3 stages
Race HQ: Bishops Waltham
Chris Newton takes second win of season
Chris Newton (Middridge RT) took his second Premier Calendar race of the season at
the 3-stage Europa Two Day, based in Hampshire. It was also Newtons third win in
a row in the event.
Saturday’s first stage was won by Welshman Julian Winn, famous for his win in the
Nottingham stage of the Prutour in 1998. He out-sprinted Gordon MCauley and Aarron
McCaffrey, the three riders having broken away from the main bunch.
Sunday morningÇs second stage was a 7km time trial, held in Bishop’s Waltham. The
stage came down to a battle between two men who will both be hoping to travel to
Sydney later this year for the Olympics. Chris Newton and 1998 World junior pursuit
champion Bradley Wiggins are both vying for places in the four man Team Pursuit team.
It was Newton who eventually prevailed, winning by 7 seconds, and with Julian Winn,
coming in more than 30 seconds down, it was Newton who started the third and final
stage in the leaderÇs jersey.
The third stage consisted of 90 miles of tough road racing. Gethin Butler and Rob
Hurd engineered the crucial move of the day, attacking with 10 miles to go. They
managed to stay away from the main pack and Hurd made a second attack to go away
and win alone.
However, over the three days it was the consistency of Chris Newton which proved
decisive. Last yearÇs Premier Calendar champion Gordon McCauley secured second place,
with Julian Winn taking third. It was good to see another of the Olympic Team Pursuit
hopefuls, Jon Clay, taking fourth.
Next Premier Calendar Race:
Archer International Grand Prix (170km) Sunday, 9th April
Race HQ: WM Ramsey School, Hazelmere, Bucks
Organiser: Stuart Benstead 0208 737 7797
With UCI points up for grabs, an excellent field is expected, including
Roger Hammond and the Collstrop team.
RESULTS – Europa 2 Day, 1/2 April 2000
General Classification at end of stage 3.
1. Chris Newton (Middridge RT) 5h 5m 28s
2. Gordon McCauley (Oleum.co.uk) @ 13s
3. Julian Winn (Wales) @ 17s
4. Jon Clay (PM) @ 18s
5. Andy Lyons (Terry Wright Cycles) @ 32s
6. Gethin Butler (Preston Wheelers) @ 39s
7. Chris Walker (On the Edge) @ 57s
8. Danny Axford (Real Cost Car Imports) @ 1m 6s
9. Steve Stoneham (Real Cost Car Imports) @ 1m 9s
10. Paul Manning (Preston Wheelers) @ 1m 13s
1. Julian Winn (Wales)
2. Arron McCaffrey (Heffs Cycles/Jackson Print)
3. Gordon McCauley (Oleum.co.uk)
1. Chris Newton (Middridge RT)
2. Bradley Wiggins WCPP
3. Bryan Steel Team Chilwell
1. Rob Hurd (RCS BIOAGRICO)
2. Gethin Butler (Preston Wheelers)
3. David Rand (Bournemouth Arrow)
Premier Calendar Standings after 4 races of 19.
1. Chris Newton (Middridge RT) 80 points
2. Wayne Randle (Pro Vision/Planet X) 65
3. Andy Lyons (Terry Wright Cycles) 63
4. John Tanner (Pro Vision/Planet X) 55
5. Gordon McCauley (Oleum./co.uk) 50
5. Jon Clay (PM) 50
7. Steve Stonham (Real Cost Car Imports) 42
8. Russell Downing (PM) 40
9. Mark Lovatt (Pro Vision/PLanet X) 39
10. Rob Hayles ( Athletes 1) 35