Unfamiliar countries at the top of the results sheets is becoming a theme of the 2006 MTB and Trials World Championships in Rotorua, New Zealand. The Junior Women XC race saw the first rainbow jersey ever awarded to a Slovenian rider, with 17 year old Tanja Zakelj standing atop the podium.
She had to work for it, though. French rider Julie Krasniak made the early running, but Zakelj passed her on a rocky descent on lap two. Krasniak battled all the way to the finish, but Zakelj held on to her lead, finishing just 23 seconds clear of her French rival.
Another solid British ride in the Junior race, with Amy Thompson coming in 8th, just over five minutes down.
Results: Junior Women XC
- 1. ZAKELJ Tanja SLO 1:18:23
- 2. KRASNIAK Julie FRA 1:18:46 + 23
- 3. ROSCHI Nadja SUI 1:19:36 +1:13
- 4. SOLUS Katarzyna POL 1:20:20 +1:57
- 5. STIRNEMANN Kathrin SUI 1:21:12 +2:49
- 8. THOMPSON Amy GBR 1:23:48 +5:25
Full results and more details at http://www.2006rotoruamtb.com.