Getting into it: Iron Bike 2013 Stages 5-7 with Matt Page - Bike Magic

Bike Magic - Mountain Bike News, Videos and Reviews. Keep up with the latest Biking Gear, Events and Trail Guides at BikeMagic.



Getting into it: Iron Bike 2013 Stages 5-7 with Matt Page

Stage 5:

3500m ascent (not including chairlift)
Maximum time limit: 12hrs
Time taken: 7hrs 40min

Matt Page getting ready for another seriously tough, but exciting, day in the saddle.

The longer this race goes on, the harder the recovery becomes, especially after a hard stage it can be really difficult to get everything done that needs to be, as well as getting enough sleep. I don’t think I would even consider doing Iron Bike without having a supporter, or at least consider trying to race it. With Nia unable to make it out to support this year due to work commitments, I put a call out on Facebook to see if anyone was able to help support Simon Hawken and myself. Nerys Evans was up for the challenge, perhaps not really knowing what she was letting herself in for, but her support has been vital during the week so far. Having my van and supplies at each camp and taking the pressure off us time wise. Mid-way through a stage race this long, I think there is a natural lull in moral at times. Not close enough to the finish to think about the finish and tired and hurting after a few hard days in the saddle.

This morning, the day of stage 5, I really struggled to get myself going. I was really tired, although at least my legs felt better which was at least something. At 8am riders started heading off, again in reverse order so it was 8:25 when I left. I’d got about 1km when I realised I’d forgotten my Camelbak, which has absolutely everything I need. A quick U-turn and luckily the van was still there, otherwise I would have been in really big trouble.

Vital stuff…

The very first part was a gentle road climb, then onto smaller roads and eventually a dirt track. After 16km we hit “The Steepest Road in the World™”. Ok, so it might not be that, but it gained 850m in 6km and was very severe in places, beyond 25%. Riders (including myself) were weaving all over the road to get up, which was causing trouble for a few cars braving the road. At the end of the road we hit Rifugio Barbara (1750m alt) and this was the starting point of the first special stage. I decided to be tactical and started immediately after Luca Ruffa, who was just a minute or so behind me on GC. There was a short technical traverse where I got a 30 second gap and then onto a long climb on a military road. This was quite an amazing sight and must have taken an age to build, snaking all the way up the mountain. The gradient really suited me and I kept the gap to the top, at 2400m alt. I remembered the climb from Iron Bike 2011 and also the descent, which I knew would be bumpy and fast. I tried to make the most of the gap, but there were some big rocks plus I remember the leader broke a rim here in 2011 and I also passed Jan Fojtek who had punctured, so I decided not to go crazy.

After a refreshing river crossing we headed onto a smoother gravel descent, which was lightning fast and, as I soon realised, very popular with walkers and 4x4s! There were a few really close calls and I was probably taking more risks than sensible, but I wanted to keep the gap onto the next climb, which was a killer! Starting steep, then going steady before finally going crazy steep but annoyingly still ride-able as my legs were screaming. I caught sight of Luca behind me and he was much stronger on the steeper pitches and soon got past me. Not long after it turned to a hike-a-bike and I thought my chance was over. It was perhaps 2-3km walking and I managed to keep the gap to two minutes as we passed over the colle at 2450m. I was really hoping it would be a technical but ride-able descent, but the first 400m was unrideable and I feared the worst. Thankfully it became rideable, all be it still very technical and I pushed on, catching him fairly soon and making the most of the remaining 700m vertical descent. The special stage finished in a village called Pralli and I’d managed to put in a two-minute gap, which I was over the moon with.

At Pralli there was a feed stop then a bit of luxury; we had a chairlift that gave us 1000m of free ascent. From the top it looked simple on the road map, a tiny climb then a long descent, but I’ve done this twice in reverse, so knew it would be challenging. I was right behind the three leading Czech riders and followed them as the track traversed then past an old monastery or something similar, then we started climbing. We went up a few kilometres when I realised I hadn’t seen a sign in a while, so decided to start heading across open land towards the peak that I knew we should be heading to. Eventually I found the track, but had lost at least five minutes in the mix up. I pushed as hard as I could to the top, which was mostly hike-a-bike and summited at 2700m. The descent was really tricky but possible for the majority of it, although there was a small section involving a clamber across some car sized boulders. We joined another military road, which was really rough and loose and decided to let go a bit and hope I didn’t puncture. It went on for several kilometres to another feed station where the front two riders were eating. I knew there was a real possibility of a stage win, although there was 10 kilometres left, half of which was a technical traverse then the remainder a steep technical descent.

Heli action.

The opportunity was too good to miss and I seemed to get a second wind and I was running up any section that was impossible to ride and pushing as hard as possible when I could ride. The track was amazing but on the edge of a steep mountain and a mistake in the wrong place would have been a disaster. I become really super focused and just went for it, reaching the final col I knew it was downhill to the finish, although it was very technical I enjoyed every minute of it! There were drops, switchbacks, roots and rocks and I just felt absolutely at home on the bike. Towards the bottom a massive rock hidden in the grass hit the rim through the tyre and I feared the worst, but luckily it held air and I crossed the line as the first rider back. That didn’t really mean much, except I’d beaten the Czech trio, so I had to wait until 9pm when the results were released and a little disappointed to see that I’d been beaten to the win by four minutes over the final stage. If only I’d not taken that wrong turn! The good news however is that overall I’d put time into the two riders close to me and moved up to fifth place.

Tomorrow we head into the mine, the only Iron Bike stage I’ve ever won and I’ll be hoping to do the same again this year.

Current overall position:

(5th SS1, 2nd SS2)

Other British riders:

Simon Hawken: 21st
Michael McCutcheon: 37th
Luke Harrison: 61st


Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.