The last day of the 2010 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup leg in Italy’s Val di Sole celebrates the British talent Marc Beaumont and the French downhiller Emmeline Ragot.
In the downhill men final Beaumont took the honours this afternoon, and beat the South African Greg Minnaar and the new World Cup leader Gee Atherton, who came in third and overtook Minnaar in the WC overall. Only seven points now separate the two, with the very last leg of the Cup scheduled on August 28 and 29 in Windham (USA).
In the women’s race, world champion Ragot grabbed her second victory in a row after Champéry, while world cup leader Jonnier took second and British Tracy Moseley finished third. In the WC overall Jonnier now has 1040 points to Ragot’s 865, with Pugin down to 780.
Along the same tracks where the 2008 World Championships took place, over 20,000 people gathered during the week end, confirming the high level of the Italian event, from both a technical and an organizational point of view. On an international basis, the Italian courses have been nominated by technicians and riders as some of the best courses in the world. Some riders consider the so-called ‘Petite Roubaix’ (XC track), the ‘Snake Pit’ (Downhill track) and the ‘Camel’s Humps’ (4X track), the most challenging courses in the world.
1. Beaumont Marc (GBR) 3:17.85
2. Minnaar Greg (RSA) 3:19.25
3. Atherton Gee (GBR) 3:20.51
4. Neethling Andrew (RSA) 3:21.08
5. Smith Steve (CAN) 3:21.98
6. Peat Steve (GBR) 3:22.03
7. Hart Danny (GBR) 3:22.14
8. Blenkinsop Samuel (AUS) 3:22.51
9. Bryceland Josh (GBR) 3:23.44;
10. Pekoll Markus (AUT) 3:23.55
1. Ragot Emmeline (FRA) 3:59.75
2. Jonnier Sabrina (FRA) 4:02.15
3. Moseley Tracy (GBR) 4:06.25
4. Nicole Myriam (FRA) 4:12.54
5. Pugin Floriane (FRA) 4:13.42
6. Suemasa Mio (JPN) 4:17.53
7. Buchar Claire (CAN) 4:18.55
8. Gros Céline (FRA) 4:20.81
9. Siegenthaler Emilie (SUI) 4:21.41
10. Carpenter Manon (GBR) 4:25.12
Next year Val di Sole will be hosting the last stage of the 2011 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup, already scheduled on August 21 and 22.